Wrongfully Charged With Selling Alcohol To A Minor: How A Lawyer Can Help

Posted on: 23 March 2015

Are you facing legal trouble after unknowingly selling alcohol to a minor? You will need a lawyer to help you prove your case, as selling alcohol to a minor can lead to spending a lot of time behind bars. In this article, find out how a lawyer can help with a minor in possession (MIP) case.

How Can a Lawyer Help When Accused of Selling a Minor Alcohol?

The first thing your lawyer will do is gather evidence that proves you had no idea that you were selling alcohol to a minor. An investigation will be conducted to find out who the minor is. However, your lawyer will first ask questions to get an understanding of why you assumed the other party was of the legal drinking age. If you based the sale on the fact that the minor showed you an identification card that turned out to be fake, you should have a solid case.

To build your case, your lawyer may include services such as:

  • Locating the minor & his or her parents
  • Speaking to peers of the minor about his or her character
  • Reviewing video surveillance of the minor showing you an ID

Your lawyer will find out how the minor obtained a fake ID. The person responsible for making the ID can be charged. The minor can also be charged with MIP, which can lead to him or her having to spend time in a juvenile facility or sentenced however the judge sees fit.

Your lawyer will also gather evidence about your character. For instance, he or she will gather records on your business concerning any similar offenses that you may have committed in the past. The key is to prove to the court how long you have been in business and that you are not in the habit of selling alcohol to minors.

How Much Does it Cost to Hire a Lawyer at an Hourly Rate?

When hiring a lawyer at an hourly rate, you can expect to pay a retainer fee. It is basically a lump sum of money that is charged up front based on the severity of your case, and a lawyer deducts an hourly rate out of it. The average hourly rate charged by lawyers can be as low as $90 or up to $500 plus. Don't take the risk of losing your license to sell alcohol. Hire a lawyer like The Law Office of Frederick J. Brynn, P.C. to help you prove your innocence.