3 Types Of Visas A Family Immigration Attorney Will Help You Get

Posted on: 22 February 2022

Most people would want to reunite with their family in the US. However, they find it challenging because the administrative process involving a family visa application is quite complex. Moreover, there are several types of visas you can apply for, making the process even more complicated. A family immigration attorney can help you understand these types of visas, fill out the required documents, explain the obstacles involved, and represent you in any hearing. Keep reading to learn the type of visas these attorneys can help you handle.

1. K-1 Fiancée Visa

This is a temporary visa that allows you to live in the US with your fiancé for a certain period to enable them to adjust and decide if they want to marry you or not. When you are applying for a K-1 fiancé visa, you need to have met the requirements of the Department of State and certain conditions such as having a valid passport and proving that you're planning on getting married.

A family immigration attorney can help you to apply for this visa. They will help you understand the requirements and fill out the necessary documents. The attorney will also help you understand the process, what documents are required and how this visa works. This way, you'll apply for the visa correctly and know what you are getting yourself into.

2. K-2 Visa  

This is a visa that is given to the children of the K-1 visa holder. It allows you to travel with your child to the US and live with them. It has strict requirements for applicants. They should be minors, unmarried, and in your parental custody. They should also have no criminal record.

A family immigration attorney can help you get a K-2 visa. They'll guide you through the process and help you gather the required documentation. Additionally, they will review your case and make sure you are eligible for this visa.

3. K-3 Spouse Visa

If you're a non-citizen and married to a US citizen, you can apply for a K-3 visa. This visa allows you to travel to the United States and live with your spouse. An attorney will help you file for an I-130 petition to prove you are the citizen's spouse. With this visa, you can join your spouse as you wait for your visa petition to be approved. It also allows you to adjust later and become a lawful permanent resident.

Processing visas for family members is a complicated process. It requires careful planning and understanding of the rules that govern the process. If you need any of these visas today, contact a family immigration attorney. They'll make your application process as straightforward as possible.